The slow-cooker has been placed on my counter top and we are warming ourselves up with delicious soups these days. I am thankful for small victories. Tonight the kids ate their vegetable soup without too much complaining. Salads don't quite have the same appeal as they did in mid-July and so slow cooker soups have been very helpful in alleviating one task from my to do list each day.
Slow Cooker Butternut, Sweet Potato and Zucchini Soup
Ingredients:Butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 Onion, small
4 Carrots peeled and sliced
1/2 Zucchini (you can add more if you have it, I only had half)
Roasted sweet potato chunks ( I had some left over from dinner the night before)
1 tsp Tumeric
1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
Salt and Pepper to taste
Organic low Salt Chicken broth (or Vegetable broth if you want to keep it Vegan or Vegetarian)
1/4 cup coconut milk or cream
- Chop and prepare all your ingredients and throw them all in your slow cooker.
- Warm up your broth in a saucepan first and then add to the crock-pot, together with 2 cups of water.
- An hour before dinner time blend the soup in the pot with a hand held blender. Be careful, the soup is hot and can splatter.
- Taste the soup and add more seasonings if desired. Add the coconut milk or cream about 5 minutes before serving.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge. Can be served in mugs for lunch the next day.
© All Right Reserved
To subscribe to my consolidated newsletter, Click here
Melony Teague a freelance writer and columnist who lives in Canada with her husband and two young children.
Founder of "Secrets of Body Transformation from the Inside Out"
Join me on facebook.