Thursday 20 December 2012

Gluten Free Banana Bread




Due to Popular Demand I am posting the Gluten Free Banana Snack Cake recipe that I make.

GLUTEN FREE BANANA BREAD

Banana Snack Cake perfect for an after school or lunchbox treat.

 

To subscribe to this blog click here

This recipe is adapted from the original recipe from the "Close up on Cakes" book published by Rizzoli New York, Edited by Suzie Smith.  Since I avoid wheat as much as I can I have made a version that does that, and if Buckwheat and Coconut flour are Gluten free, then I guess that makes this Gluten free. It is not sugar free unless you use Coconut Palm sugar and Stevia. To make this a nut-free snack be sure to use sunflower seeds instead of the ground almonds.

Ingredients:

Makes one loaf

 125 g Cream Cheese
1/4 cup /125 g Butter, at room temperature
Either:
 1 cup Coconut Palm sugar
OR
3/4 cup brown sugar plus 1/4 scant cup powdered Stevia
2 Large Eggs ( I did not have eggs this time so used flax seed "egg")
2 -3 Ripe bananas, mashed
2 Cups Gluten Free Flour (You can either use a store bought mix, or what I used was 1 cup coconut flour and 1 cup buckwheat flour)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup ground sunflower seeds (If you are not worried about it being a nut-free snack you can use ground almonds, but sunflower seeds are cheaper and you can grind them in your coffee grinder.)

I do not ice the cake but the original recipe calls for Cream cheese icing , but I omit that.

Method:

  1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter your loaf pan.
  2. Measure all the dry ingredients (including ground sunflower seeds or ground almonds) and set aside in a medium bowl.
  3. Beat the cream cheese, butter and "sugar" until smooth, scraping sides of bowl.
  4. Add the eggs one at a time or flax seed.
  5. Stir in the mashed bananas and add the dry ingredients.
  6. Spoon into your loaf pan and bake until toothpick comes out clean, approx 55 - 60 minutes.
  7. Cool on wire rack and try not to eat all of it before it cools! 
I serve it warm slathered with butter, and tuck a slice in to the lunches.


What is your favourite after school or lunchbox snack?



www.melonyteague.com 
To subscribe to my consolidated newsletter, Click here 
Melony Teague a freelance writer and columnist who lives in Canada with her husband and two young children.
Founder of "Secrets of Body Transformation from the Inside Out" 
Join me on facebook.  

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.