Saturday 21 January 2012

Phase two completed, next up oranges and tangerines if my weigh in and measurements are on track.

Today I completed week 4 of my training with Igor Klibanov.
85 lbs baby!
This week our exercise sets have been changed and we are doing each exercise at a different tempo. What this means is that we prolong the lifting or pushing part of the exercise (weight bearing) for 3 seconds. I discovered that walking lunges are really as bad as they look. I also discovered that I can do dead-lifts with 85 pounds! I know, I did not believe Igor when he told me how much I was lifting.
I asked Igor what the reason was behind the change in tempo and this is what he said: "When you prolong the lifting portion of a lift, you generate more lactic acid, which triggers the release of growth hormone. Contrary to its name, it doesn't make you grow (it has that effect on children), but it breaks down fat."
Tuesday's weigh in and measurement day will be the test and will show three things:
1. How much fat loss there has been if any.
2. How much lean muscle mass has been gained.
3. Whether my body is tolerating the berries I have been eating.
And the almond butter cookies I made. 

( Left: Almond Butter cookies made with no flour at all.)

If everything is on track, then I will be able to introduce Oranges and Tangarines.
(Right) Cold quinoa avocado salad with walnuts and pumpkin seeds.  According to Wikipedia avocado's are also considered a berry and are native to central Mexico. A ripe avocado yields to gentle pressure when held in the palm of the hand and squeezed gently. The flesh is prone to enzymatic browning; it turns brown quickly after exposure to air. To prevent this, vinegar, lime or lemon juice can be added to avocados after they are peeled. The trick to making meals interesting is making sure you have a variety of textures. The Feta cheese just adds that little bit of saltiness that compliments the creamy avocado and the crunchy walnuts and pumpkin seeds.

The is no reason to feel like you are on a restricted diet if you use your imagination. Variety is the key. One night I prepared chicken curry and it was delicious. No rice, but Quinoa on the side. The children had brown bismati rice with their dinner.
(Left) Dill weed encrusted Baked Salmon with crisp vegetable salad make a delicious dinner. My children had their salmon in whole wheat wraps with ranch dressing.


When I get hungry during the day I reach for a hand full of nuts.  Nuts are beneficial to good health, particularly if you want a snack that is not sweet, but is satisfying. Learn more about nuts here. I keep a jar fully stocked with a variety of nut, NOT PEANUTS and they are also a great snack to keep in a ziplock in your purse as a snack on the run. Try to get natural, unroasted nuts if you can. I usually go for the unsalted ones, but since I am sweating it our in the gym, I mix salted with unsalted to minimise the sodium content but still get the sodium I need.

I wonder what week 5 will bring? I get my second Hep A and B shot tomorrow, and unfortunately I know it is going to hurt! It is just the nature of the stuff inside the shot. One more rabies shot to go on the 29th Jan and then I will be so happy to have my inoculations for my trip to Eastern Siberia up to date. 


It is currently - 32 C where I will going. Brrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.