Tuesday 1 January 2013

The First day of the Year with Quinoa Vegetable soup recipe



I was so happy to welcome in the New Year knowing that my choices were going to be a whole lot different to what they have been for the last few weeks. I got to the point where I remembered and re-lived that horrible lethargic feeling that too much sugar and carbs and basically, JUNK put my poor body into. By last night when we rang in the new year I was SO OVER the shortbread, the desserts and the copious amounts of coffee to try cope with the overwhelming fatigue. Why do we let ourselves get to that point before we make a change? Well, I think it is simply because we somehow think that we are different and it could not affect US that way....perhaps this time we will be able to eat all that junk and it will not affect us. Just as when we are born, we push the limits to see how far we can go without feeling pain or discomfort, we do so with our diet and addictions too.

Today was DAY 1 of the Nutritional 30 Day Challenge and I must admit by 4pm I had a headache. Not surprising since I was probably going through some serious withdrawals and detoxing. My body knows and remembers the great feeling that follows once it is all clear though, so I am hanging in there.

30 Day Challenge Part II participants are given a list to choose one thing to eliminate in phase one of the challenge.  Being a sucker for punishment, or rather knowing my own vices, I picked 4.

Pick ONE:

SUGAR

COFFEE

WHITE CARBS

ALCOHOL

DAIRY

WHEAT

GRAINS

SOFT DRINKS 

My choices for the first phase of my 30 Day Challenge were to eliminate the following:
SUGAR, DAIRY, WHEAT and THE DRINKS...( Alcohol and Soft Drinks)
The drinks are not really a part of my life anyway, so that was easy.

Breakfast today looked like this:

Wheat free Spelt toast with Hazelnut butter and herbal tea.


There is nothing better than some soup to help you get back to eating clean and here is one that you can enjoy too:

QUINOA and VEGETABLE SOUP

Crockpot Recipe ( serves 3 -4)

Ingredients:

Organic Chicken Broth (1 litre)
2 cups Water
1 Organic carrot sliced
1 zucchini - chopped
1/4 cup Organic quinoa (white) 
1 slice of a large onion
Italian spices (dried) 

Method:

  1. Place all ingredients in your slow cooker except for herbs and quinoa. Cook on High for 6 hours.
  2. 1 hour before serving add Quinoa and herbs
  3. Serve with wheat free bread or another alternative of your choice.



I can't tell you how well this soup went down.

Let me introduce you to our participants! Hats off to all of you for taking the first step! 

The PARTICIPANTS of the Challenge are as follows:

  1. Kristin - Detroit, U.S.A. She is going to curb: White processed carbs - white sugar/white flour.
  2. Sheila - Cape Town, South Africa. She is going to fight the urge to eat: Hard Cow's Milk cheeses.
  3.  Crystal from Regina, SK, Canada and she is going to start with curbing the coffee habit.
  4.  Elisabeth from San Carlos, Mexico says she is going to cut out white carbs (potatoes and rice)
  5. I will be in on it too: Melony Teague will be cutting Sugar, dairy, wheat, alcohol and soft drinks. 
  6. Anna from Australia is going to be starting with white carbs. 
  7. Karie-Ann from Elmira, Canada wants to give up alcohol, pop and coffee.
  8. Bonnie from Toronto, Canada is going to to cut out alcohol and dairy
Today's task was to weigh and measure themselves. They will keep these measurements to themselves and they will serve as motivation to keep going. We weigh and measure again in 2 weeks time. Yes, some of us had to face the ugly truth after the holiday festivities, but it has to be done, so might as well face the music and get it over with.

There may be one or two additional participants added to the list tomorrow, so stay tuned.

Participants had to pick one thing for phase one of the nutritional challenge and can add one thing more as they go.....I started with my 4 or 5 things and will add more as I go too.

A reminder, it is ONLY for 30 days, not forever, however I am positive that some may continue when they experience how much better they feel for it. I am excited and I hope that you will be joining me in cheering these participants on, through the good and the bad days.

INVITE YOUR FREINDS TO JOIN WITH YOU, the more the merrier!
To let me know you are joining, please email me at:
LET's GO!
www.melonyteague.com 
To subscribe to my consolidated newsletter, Click here 
Melony Teague a freelance writer and columnist who lives in Canada with her husband and two young children.
Founder of "Secrets of Body Transformation from the Inside Out" 
Join me on facebook.  

Follow Me on Pinterest
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.